We recognize that those with on-reserve matrimonial property face some of the most complex legal situations of anyone going through a family change in Canada. In Ontario you may be subject to up to three simultaneous court jurisdictions: the Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Justice, and the Indigenous court established in your community. 

Because the Government of Canada's recognition of First Nation self-governance over on-reserve matrimonial property is so new, and because each First Nation has unique property holding arrangements, we know that it can be challenging to find knowledgable legal help for your situation. 

Gordon S. Campbell served as a policy advisor at Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada on the Matrimonial On Reserve Property Regulations, has worked with First Nations throughout Canada, and regularly assists Indigenous clients (on and off reserve) with their family law matters.